Unless...

Unless...
"and all that was left in all of the mess was a child whose eyes pleaded just one word... unless. Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. IT'S NOT." - Dr. Seuss

Friday, August 7, 2009

After Africa

First of all I have to say that there is no possible way for me to fully express my experiences in Africa.
I can do my best to tell you about the things I saw & felt but you will never understand unless you experience.
So on that note.... I almost don't even know where to begin!! 

I do know that never in my life has my heart felt so hopelessly broken but so full of love.
Everyday I came into contact with people who suffered unparalleled amounts. It was hard for me to just see everything, let alone understand that what I was seeing was their reality. 
Yet, i've never met a more loving & spiritual people. These people gave me their love immediately & so easily. This love that I received from the people of Zambia literally overpowered me... I will admit that I often have a hard time saying I love you to people in my life who I maybe shouldn't, but with the people in Zambia it was the most honest & heartfelt thing. I could easily tell people I loved them & mean it with every cell in my body. 

I don't think that I would have had the experience I did in Africa alone without it coupled by the amazing Kathy Headlee Miner. This woman is honestly the biggest inspiration to my heart and I'm pretty sure an angel on earth! Kathy taught me to really notice what caught my attention & not to judge it, just pay attention. This was SO hard! But Kathy always told us (my team) that we were overqualified for this journey in Africa & our own life - just take a breath and know it's not to much. One day we would understand why we needed to see & experience the things we did. Heavenly Father is the only one with the answers and he is willing to share them with us if we just ask! 

One of the biggest lessons I learned and am constantly trying to remember is to live in the now.
Right here, right now. Now is the only time that I have control over - the past is gone & thinking about or worrying over the future doesn't change a thing!! I only have power over the now. Realizing this was powerful. The now I experienced in Africa hurt. A lot. I would try to use different methods to remove myself from the now & what I was seeing - Kathy was so brilliant & took away our ipods as a method to avoid the escape & distraction they would provide. 
It was interesting to learn & hear from my team members all the different ways they had of taking themselves out of the present and coming to learn my own way of not dealing with the now. I know now that I want to change my coping mechanisms & work through things!! 
I always want to live in the now. 

Okay well that is not even a small fraction of everything Africa has brought to the forefront of my mind but I think enough to let process! (This is really proving to be a great therapy to try and explain all this.) I promise to keep updating with the different things i've learned & experiences that changed me. Thanks for taking the time to read this & better yet care!! 
Another important thing I learned in Africa: the world is a better place just because you exist!
 
The picture that touched my heart before Africa


And now even more - meet Philip & Kennedy! 
The two from the picture :) 
Meeting them only made the picture more special for me. 
Click the grey words to read the story behind The Worth of a Soul
It is the most touching story!! 

7 comments:

Karyn said...

Miss Taylor Michelle Garcia! I can not even begin to understand what you went through when you were over there, but I can begin to understand your love for them just from looking at your pictures. The love for those beautiful children emulates from your eyes. I really have a new and deepest respect for you. I love you so much!

Kiana Don said...

Oh My Lanta. Look is the one with words now! I am speechless after reading this. Absolutely speechless. You are such a great example to me and my heart cannot even begin to acknowledge the depth and intensity of your trip. I concur with Karyn, that love in your eyes encompasses the pictures. I can see the compassion you have for the people, what an amazing experience! I love you long long time and am so glad you got to accomplish one of your dreams.

skcoe said...

I'm so glad you had this life changing experience and found joy in looking outside yourself. It's something we all need to do more and I can't wait to hear ALL the details!

Marisa Jean said...

You are living my dream. I've never wanted anything more than to go to Africa and serve. That image is beautiful, and so is the story and your comments regarding your trip. Count me in next time, and I'm serious about that!

Wendy Lady said...

I am so touched by your dedication to a cause you believe in. I can't even begin to wrap my head around the conditions those wonderful children of God live in. You are truly an inspiration!

The Dyreng's said...

Taylor thanks for sharing that. I have been struggling to live in the now for quite some time. Thanks for the reminder. You are an amazing girl and I am so happy that you got that experience.

Amanda Bolton said...

I am going with you next time. Im not even kidding. What an amazing experience. Thank you for sharing with me and helping me to remember that life is good no matter what. Its up to me to make it that way. I love you best friend. Dont forget it!


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

My likes, loves, and interests...

  • My amazing family
  • Friends
  • Lemon scent
  • Disneyland
  • Spoon Me
  • Learning about different cultures & ideas
  • Motivational quotes
  • Oprah
  • Dr. Oz & his brilliant mind
  • Audrey Hepburn
  • Johnny Depp :)
  • Reading - I LOVE a good book